Worship every Sunday at 10:30 am
Preamble to the Church Covenant
June 18, 1789
In colonial Dunbarton, public worship was held in a variety of settings. Townspeople met in the open, in homes and in the one story, thirty-foot square meeting house erected on the town common in 1766. Itinerant preachers were hired when money was voted for preaching at town meeting.The town called The Rev. Walter Harris to be its first settled minister in January, 1789, and in May it voted to build a bigger meeting house. Our church was gathered on June 18, 1789 when ten men signed the Covenant. The minister’s salary was paid by a tax on residents, but in 1796 some protested. Eventually, residents holding certificates of ....continue reading....